Sunday 14 April 2013

Ink (Paper Gods, #1) by Amanda Sun

I received a copy of Ink from the publisher with the intent that I give an honest review.

I'm going to try to write this review without giving away too much of the plot, which is going to be difficult so bare with me.

To say this is a good book would be an understatement. Yes, we have the pre-requisite young girl, uprooted and dropped off in a country that is as complex and dictated by manners as Japan and we have the leading guy, who everyone thinks is bad but deep down he's really good, just misunderstood.

When I started to read this book, I felt a little at sea myself. I could connect with Katie on this level as she tries to find herself and make a home with her aunt. She has to learn a strange language just so she can fit in at school and learn what is the right thing to do and say in certain situations. When she's a witness to a break-up between a couple she tries to hide and not be noticed by them and that's really when the story gets on a roll.

When a drawing that she is doodling starts to move, she starts to panic and then her pen explodes and the ink goes everywhere. When she looks up, she notices Tomo and realises that he's seen what happened and she starts to think it's his fault, especially the pen exploding.

After that she starts to follow him and gradually they get to know each other. When they start to see each other, they realise that there is something more going on. With Yakuza and Kami trying to get Tomo onto their side, Katie tries to keep this from happening and to save them both from anything bad happening.

I look forward to the next book in this series, I can't wait to see what happens with Katie and Tomo, how the Yakuza and the Kami decide to deal with them and if they get to have their Happy Ever After.

No comments:

Post a Comment